Solar Energy Advantages and Disadvantages of solar panels (Solar Energy Facts): Solar panel is a panel which is capable of absorbing sun rays for generating electricity. Solar panel is combination of several solar cells. It is a photovoltaic in short pv module. A solar panel is typically 6×10 solar cells. Solar panels generates and supply power for residential and commercial uses.
Solar cell module generates DC – direct current power output in standard test conditions. The power value ranges from 100 to 365 watts. The efficiency of a solar panel depends on the area of the panel. An 8% efficient 230 watt panel ha the twice the area of a 16% efficient 230 watt panel. There are some solar panels which have more than 19% efficiency. Single solar panel can produce only limited power. So for reaching the required amount of power, solar panels are arranged in an array of solar panels.
Solar power usage is decreasing day by day including battery storage for solar power than the fuel electricity from the power grids. For example in 2015 , in Europe or the US an average house is using around 3000 kilowatt per hour (KWh) each year. Twelve 280 watt solar photovoltaic panels can generate at least 3000kWh, if each panel generates 250kWh annually. The market price is £8000 in UK, $12000 in US and €10000 in Europe.
Solar cells use light energy photons from the sun to generate electricity. They use wafer based crystalline silicon cells or thin film cells which are made from cadmium telluride or silicon. They cells must be protected from the moisture and physical damage.
Solar panels are rigid, but some of them are semi flexible which are based on thin film cells. To achieve desired output voltage, series electrical connections are made and parallel connections are made for achieving current capabilities.
MC3 or MC4 connectors are used to facilitate weather proof connections. Latest solar panels use connectors, in which light is focused by lenses onto array of cells.
Solar Energy Advantages and Disadvantages of solar panels
Solar energy can be captured in many ways. There are so many solar energy advantages and disadvantages list But here we are explaining the Advantages and Disadvantages of solar panels in the below steps.
Solar Energy Advantages
Below are some of the benefits of solar panels.
- Solar energy is a free source of generating power by using sun light.
- Generating solar energy does not cause pollution.
- Solar energy can be used in all places like remote areas where it is very expensive to extend the electric cables from the electricity grid.
- Many of the daily usable items such as calculators can be powered by solar cells.
- It is estimated that oil resources will last for 30 to 40 years. But the solar power lasts forever.
- Solar energy can also be used for heating water.
- Solar panels reduce power bills.
- Solar panels do not require any mechanical parts, so they are very silent while they are working.
Solar Energy Disadvantages
- Solar panel will work only at the day time
- Solar collectors are very expensive to manufacture and delicate.
- Solar panels are unusable where the climate is cloudy.
- Solar energy is unusable at night times.
- Solar panels generate very low electricity.
- Solar panels are very easy to break. They are not hard weather proof.
Solar Energy Advantages and Disadvantages Summary of this Article
Save this information as solar energy advantages and disadvantages pdf so that you can use this solar energy advantages and disadvantages for kids. If they are asking the questions and you want to tell them basics of solar energy. In the coming days we will publish wind energy advantages and disadvantages also come back after few days to see that post also..