Playing PlayStation 2 games on windows, lunix and mac: Playing PlayStation 2 games on pc is known as emulating PlayStation 2 games on pc. The software which is used to play ps2 games on pc, MAC and linux is known as emulator. Emulator is a software which makes our system to act like another system, to execute another system’s execution capabilities.
There is another type of emulator which is known as hardware emulator. Unlike software emulator, hardware emulator requires specific hardware to emulate like another system. Now, in this case to emulate ps2 games on pc, we don’t require hardware emulator. We will be dealing with software emulators for making ps2 games to run on pc.
Emulators to Play PS2 Games on PC
Below are the top emulators used to play ps2 games on pc.
Among all of them, PCSX2 is the best emulator which is compatible will most of the ps2 games which can make the games run with full fps.
Advantages of PCSX2 over ps2
- PCSX2 supports custom resolutions, up to 4096×4096, anti aliasing and texture filters to make original ps2 games look better.
- Since PCSX2 is an emulator, it supports unlimited memory cards
- You can use any controller you have like ps3, xbox360 and pc generic controllers etc. If you don’t have a controller, no problem you can play games with your mouse and keyboard.
- In PCSX2 you can increase or decrease the game speed by using frame-limiter for speeding and passing hard spots by slowing them down.
- GSdx plugin of PCSX2 gives you the ability to record your game play in full HD.
System Requirements of PCSX2 to Play PS2 Games on PC
Minimum (most games will be slow)
CPU: Any processor that supports SSE2. Pentium 4 and up, Athlon64 and up.
GPU: that supports Pixel Shader model 2.0
512MB RAM (note Vista needs at least 2GB)
Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2.8 GHz and up or AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz and up
GPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)
RAM: Linux and Windows XP require 1GB of ram, Vista and Window7 requires 2GB or more ram.
How to download PCSX2 and Download ps2 games on pc
- Download the latest stable version of PCSX2 from the download page of the PCSX2 by clicking here.
- This step may be a tricky part. You have to get the bios from your PlayStation 2. Bios will not be included with the PCSX2 package since ps2 bios is a Sony copyright. Click here to download BIOS Dumper tool. Or click here to skip the 2nd step and download the already extracted bios.
- Install PCSX2
- Configure PCSX2 by opening the PCSX2. Go to menu bar> config > controllers>plugin settings. Set the control buttons and press ok.
- Configure the video plugin by menu bar> video (gs)> plugin settings and always select HARDWARE render. Then select your desired resolution and press ok. Click here to refer to full guide.
- Now it’s time for preparing the ps2 games. Insert your ps2 game disc into your DVD rom and open PCSX2 and click on boot Or burn your ps2 game into ISO and load the ISO in the PCSX2. Playing the ps2 games using ISO will make the game play fast. Click here to download Playstation2 – ps2 game iso.
- Now you are ready to play your plastations2 games on pc.
PCSX2 is not only compatible with windows , it is also compatible with Linux and mac.